9.13.2009

Lecture 4 Spoken Discourse

i joined the friday session coz got rehearsal on wed.

nomally, before i pick up a phone, i will check who's calling.
if it is from my friends, i will directly say hello [name],
if it is from my taiwanese friends or close friends,
it would be, hello classmate(嗨!同學) or hello senior/junior(喂!學長/姐/弟/妹)
if it is from someone i don't know, the 4 opening sequence being uesd.

i think you are suprised that how come i call my close friend classmate?!
but tell you the truth, all my close friends call me classmate, they never call me my name!
and also, we don't call our senior and junior only by name,
if u want, u MUST add senior or junior, like name-relationship,
or it will be unrespect for them,
and what's wired,
if u call them by using name-relationship form,
it shows that u and the person are unfamilar to each other,
that will be a big gap in the rest of your conversation!
.....sounds unbelievable right?!....


2 則留言:

  1. Ya! that's true, but for my school in Tainan, we will call our seniors also not by name, it's more polite.....but... most times, we will call our junior by name. Just like in my family, I will never call my older sister by name, but opposite, my older sister will never call me by "younger brother".

    回覆刪除
  2. Interesting. How to address one another can vary a great deal across cultures.

    回覆刪除